- Hello Sam!
- Hi Dan nice to meet you.
- Do you know that we have two new comers in our form?
- Yes at the interval I even have got acquainted with one of them.
- Really what interesting?! And what is his name?
- His name is Robert Allen and he is very humorous. He was telling me a joke every minute.
- What does he look like? And how old is he?
- Robert is 13 years old - a slender of medium height boy with green eyes and with a mole on the cheek. From my point of view he will be the tidiest cleanest and neatest person in the whole form. Furthermore he is very inventive.
- Do you think that if he is well dressed his character is good and that we will have a faithful pupil and friend?
- However …
- Don’t worry. You’re luckier than me. Because Gary who was talking with me at the interval was untidiest person I had ever seen. He is plump even overweight 14 years old boy that is making such loud noises imitating animals as a fool. But he seems to me very cheerful boy.
- I saw him. If he is casually dressed and with a turned up nose and freckles on the face.
- Yes you are absolutely right Dan!
- Sorry Sam but do you know that the bell rings earlier this day than others?
- Are you sure?
- Yes better if we finish our talk later. And know let’s go to our classroom and see the other pupils.
A World Of books
- Hello Dan glad to meet you!
- Hi Sam haven’t seen you for ages. Where have you been? Let me see what book you’ve borrowed in the library.
- Oh this is a great book which contains a lot of fairy tales of Charles Dickens. And how about you do you read books?
- You know I’m a very busy person and read books when I have freetime. From my point of view why to read books whereas you can watch TV. You can widen your knowledge or get useful information in a few minutes.
- You are wrong. I know that TV programmes provide us with pictures and sound but books are still a cheap way to get information and entertainment. And then for example a paperback novel is cheaper than an evening at the cinema of theatre. You can also keep a book forever and read it many times and every time.
- I agree with you however it’s a problem for people that do not have time for reading the latest news from the newspaper. Practically when I have holidays and go to the library instead of watching TV-set I see a lot of books in it and find it difficult to make a good choice.
- I can give you advise to read books that impressed your friends and which in their opinion are beautifully written or consult a librarian who maybe analyzed some chapters from the books. And also make a choice from book not for their pictures its cover however the table of contents. Always follow the rule that basically you read to get information and for fun not to while the time away.
- Hmm… Thanks for your help. I’ll follow your advice. I think that having a home library is a good and interesting idea too. From my point of view as I’m not a good reader books in the home are a wonderful source of knowledge and pleasure and some types of books should be in every home such as: good dictionaries that you can consult it any time you need to find some information; large encyclopedia again as the source of info though it might be expensive; and of course an Geographical Atlas.
- In a word what kind of books do you read or like to read at all? I think that most of all I like science fiction because it is about events that take a place in the future or in other universes.
- I’m sorry Dan I’m in a hurry and promised to be at home at four o’clock we might finish our talk later.
- Sure Sam. It was nice to talk with you thank you for so interesting conversation.
- I’ll phone you as soon as possible bye!
- Good Bye!
- Ooo Sam – what brings you here? Hello haven’t seen you for ages.
- Hi Dan. Glad to meet you too! I think the last time I saw you was at school when we had an evening with our class.
- Yes you are right… Many years have passed since then. I’ve heard that your family left Estonia for Australia.
- We went there at once after I finished a school. But how do you know that?
- It doesn’t matter! Tell me how are you doing.
- I’m fine. You know…
- And how is it there in Australia?
- Every person that I’ve met ask me the same question.
- It is because not every one has been to Australia.
- You know Australia is an unique country. First because its nature strikes with its view. Wild animals are everywhere. Big extraordinary species of birds and animals. A kangaroo a duckbill an emu anteater and koala eucalyptus and wild dog – dingo and a huge buffalo: these animals are the only ones it once on the Earth (planet). Huge deserts… the Great Sand and the Victoria the Gibson desert… and the temperature is higher than 30 degrees above zero.
- Really?! It is very hot. As I know the hottest summer temperature in Estonia is nearly 29 above zero.
- Don’t compare?! Australia is sometimes called “the upside down world”. Can you guess why?
- Hmm… Let me think!
- Don’t try - because the continent lies in the Southern Hemisphere where winter comes in July and summer begins in December.
- And what people do during the Christmas holidays?
- To your surprise they often sunbathe on the beach or swim and surf in the ocean.
- From my point of view if I’ve been a geograph I’d called Australia the hottest place in the hole World.
- If it is you’d became a bad geograph. But if you said that this continent is the hottest place in the Southern Hemisphere you’d been absolutely right as the summer temperature in Egypt (Africa) is nearly 45 degrees above zero.
- You called me fool however I know something about Australia at all…
- And for example? (laughing)
- …Tasmania. Let’s talk about Tasmania. To the best of my geography knowledge Tasmania is the island state which one of the few places in Australia that have enough rain all year. The island is Australia’s leading producer of pears and berries of different kinds. Potatoes are also grown in some areas. And Tasmania is sometimes called the orange isle because it produces most of Australian oranges.
- Ha ha ha…
- What are you laughing at? (angry)
- Don’t become angry. Relax. You are wrong about producing oranges. The main product is apples and the isle is sometimes called the apple isle. But don’t make our talk become a quarrel.
- Better - if you can of course - show me the town which I haven’t seen for many years.
Collecting Coins and Sports
- Hi Dan nice to meet you (haven’t seen you for ages). Are you busy today? How about playing table tennis at 5 o’clock? There is a new club near our town castle.
- That’s a good idea. I’ve heard about your interest in sports especially – in tennis. But why did you choose this kind of sport as a hobby? From my point of view playing tennis doesn’t involve much knowledge.
- No you are mistaken. We have a lot of competitions in different cities or even countries.
And during our pastime we always go sightseeing and visit many different places: museums exhibitions art galleries. You can see how much knowledge we get learning the history of a country its customs (traditions) and culture.
- And where have you been with your team?
- For example last week our club’s team took part in the Euro-championship in Finland where people from many parts of Europe participated. There were Swedish Finnish German and French even Chinese teams and many others. Of course we spent much time at the competitions however we could go to the famous Finnish National Art Gallery where I was able to see the paintings and sculptures of well-known artists and different work of art of their country. And I can tell you that I was full of unforgettable impressions.
- Tastes differ. As for me I like indoor activities most of all.
- What sort of activities? I mean do you have a special hobby?
- Yes collecting coins. I have a big collection of coins. All of them are dated from the ancient times. Each can tell you about famous people and you get acquainted with many Kings and Queens and other well known person. You can get much knowledge from this kind of hobby.
- And what is so interesting in it? I think it’s very boring and just a waste of time! - Just have a look! Have you ever seen this American coin? It is very rare and expensive. The coin is old - dated by the 1815 (year). There is a famous Queen on its front side and wise phrases on its back. This is the best copy of my collection. I’m very proud of it because it consist of nearly 1000 coins.
- Well now I see that you have neatly labelled and counted each coin. But does this hobby involve any physical activity? For example sport is a physical activity. As I’ve been playing it for 6 years I have become fit healthy and I practically never get (feel) ill.
- OK. Let’s say all hobbies are interesting. For some people it is a pleasure to collect coins for others sport is a hobby.
- Yes you are right. Oh I’m sorry but I have to run. I promised to be at home at five. Bye!
- It was nice to talk to you! Bye!
Collecting Stamps and Sports
- Hi I haven't seen you for ages. Please come in and have a seat. I'll show you my new stamps. I bought them when I was in Tallinn last time. You know that I’ve got a great collection of stamps. And I'm very proud of it.
- I've heard about your interest in collecting stamps. But why did you choose such a boring hobby? It seems to me it is just a waste of time to look at the same stamps time after time.
- Of course not you are mistaken. We learn a lot from stamps. They can tell you all about the history of different countries people and you get acquainted with new species of plants animals insects. Collecting stamps is very popular with people of all ages and it is very interesting.
Just have a look! This German stamp is very rare and will cost a fortune one day. All these stamps are very old they are dated from the year 1930. My favorite section in my collection is famous people. If I don't know the person on a stamp I always try to find information about him in books.
- I see that you have neatly labeled every page and every section in your collection. But don't you think that your hobby doesn't make you healthier and stronger?
You know my hobby is tennis. I can spend the whole day on the tennis court. I've been playing tennis for 4 years and since then I have become fit healthy and with a lots of energy I practically never feel ill.
- I'd like to say that tastes differ. Of course I agree that collecting stamps doesn't involve physical activity but I learn a lot and get much knowledge when I devote most of my free time to collecting stamps. Can you become more intelligent playing tennis?
- Of course I can. You know that we have a lot of competitions in different cities or even countries.
During your free time we always go sightseeing and visit different museums and exhibitions. You can see of that we learn a lot about the history culture and traditions of different countries.
Only a month ago our team took part in the championship in Moscow. Of course we spend much time on courts but also we could go to the Tretjakov Gallery where I was able to see the paintings of famous artists. And I can tell you that I was full of unforgettable impressions.
- Let's say all hobbies are interesting. For some people it is pleasure to collect stamps for other sport is a hobby.
- Yes you are right. Oh I'm sorry but I promised my mum to be at home at 5 o'clock. I have to run. Bye!
- It was nice to talk with you! Bye!
- Hi Sam! Glad to meet you. Where have you been? I haven’t seen you for ages.
- I have travelled around the USA.
- Around the USA? Wow! Great! Some people are luckier than others. Did you enjoy sightseeing in this huge country? Did you like it?